Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken Thighs

18 Jan

These oven-baked chicken thighs are juicy, delicious, and easy-to-make — they are great during the work week, when you want to make a relatively simple dinner at home with a lot of flavor, and also yield plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day.

SPICY LEMON PAPRIKA CHICKEN THIGHS

• 2 lbs. organic chicken thighs, skin on
  • 2 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsps cayenne power
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground pepper
  • Zest and juice of one lemon
  • ¼ cup organic olive oil

In a bowl, mix paprika, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt and pepper.  Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and olive oil, to create the marinade.  Check the taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary (you may want more spiciness here, for instance).

Add the chicken thighs and toss.  If you have the time, let the thighs marinade for a couple of hours –in full-disclosure, I often make this recipe when I don’t have time to marinate the thighs for much longer than 15 minutes, and the chicken still tastes delicious.

Preheat the oven to 215C (about 419F).  Lay out the chicken thighs in a roasting pan and roast for about 30 minutes, until cooked through.

Turn on the broiler and broil until the skin is lightly crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.  Take the roasting pan out of the oven, transfer the thighs onto a platter and let them rest for about 5 minutes before serving.

These chicken thighs are great the next day, even cold!

About these ads

52 Responses to “Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken Thighs”

1. Buttoni January 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

These look VERY good! I do a similar spice blend for chicken and seafood. Look forward to trying this!

2. Alex January 19, 2012 at 11:54 pm #

Mmm, there’s just something about paprika! This looks like a great blend–definitely have to try it out.

3. Amy February 8, 2012 at 12:58 am #

Oh my god. These may be the best chicken thighs ever!! Thanks!

• tomoko February 9, 2012 at 2:31 am #

Glad you enjoyed it!

4. barefootandprimal February 9, 2012 at 2:25 am #

I made this tonight and I must say it was a HUGE hit! I didn’t use as much cayenne though…I was afraid ;-) If you don’t mind, I will reblog and share this with everyone I know!

5. barefootandprimal February 9, 2012 at 2:26 am #

Reblogged this on barefootandprimal and commented:
    I made this dish tonight and it was AMAZING!

6. Vanessa Hill April 21, 2012 at 12:43 am #

Delicioso! Gratzie! I will have to reblog this on my site as well.

7. Sarah JS May 4, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Not a thigh fan, do you think this would work with breast? It looks delicious!

• tomoko May 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

I’m sure it will – hope you enjoy!

8. Jen May 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Made this tonight and the flavor was amazing! It will be on my regular rotation for sure!

9. Molley Mills July 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

I made this tonight for the first time. I really didn’t have a lot of marinating time but they were super juicy and a great hit. I was hoping to save some for lunch tomorrow but they were too popular.

10. tillymonstar August 21, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

Making this tomorrow evening– currently marinating in the fridge as we speak. I used smoked paprika. Smelled delish! What would you suggest as a side dish? I am thinking a green salad with a nice paleo ranch dressing. Yes?

• tomoko August 21, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

Yes! Sounds great – summery and delicious!

• lanie stevens August 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

i just have to say thank you so much for this recipe- I’ve made it 4 time this month already- so easy, economical and YUMMMM. I keep saying I’m going to try the thighs another way but I CAN’T- the whole household is hooked. thanks again

• tomoko August 24, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

Thank you for the lovely comment! So glad that you and your family love the recipe — I’m making them this weekend for a picnic!

11. ann September 23, 2012 at 11:42 am #

This chicken was awesome, moist full flavour, thank you for sharing, my husband thinks this is the best chicken dinner, I have made

• tomoko September 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Fantastic! Glad it turned out well!

12. ehalle February 25, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

Are these bone-in or boneless? I usually get boneless but I think these look like they are bone-in…just don’t want to ruin the cook time!

• tomoko February 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

These are bone in!

13. Eva February 26, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

thank you so much for this recipe it is amazing!!! i used it on chicken breast and put it on the grill and it worked perfect

14. Sheila March 21, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Just made this today and it was amazing!!! Have already shared the recipe with a couple friends! Thanks so much for sharing.

• tomoko March 22, 2013 at 11:35 am #

You’re welcome! So happy to hear that the chicken thighs came out great!

15. Andrew March 28, 2013 at 9:11 am #

I will be trying this, but I do believe there is specifically no salt in the paleo diet.

• tomoko March 28, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

Hi Andrew,
      If you try the recipe, I hope you enjoy it! My husband and I are not “hardcore” paleos as prescribed in the link you posted. We’re more along the lines of what Robb Wolf calls 80/20 paleo, since we drink wine and very occasionally eat cheese. He has a write-up about the various “paleo” approaches here: http://robbwolf.com/2012/10/24/shades-paleo/

16. bskies April 24, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Delicious!!! I replaced the cayenne with srirarcha sauce and it tasted marvelous :)

• tomoko April 24, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Awesome! Good idea with the sriracha!

17. Molly June 6, 2013 at 8:23 am #

This sounds yummy! Would it be ok to marinate these overnight or is that too long?

18. Alex July 4, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

did anyone else think there was too much olive oil???

19. Orange November 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

This was great. I used it on wings and we couldn’t stop talking about it. Thanks for this.
    I used 1 clove of garlic instead of garlic powder. I also used some chilli powder instead of cayenne.

20. Cindy December 13, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

Made this today. It is now my new favorite chicken recipe. Only marinated it for about 15 minutes but it still had an amazing flavor.

• tomoko December 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Wonderful! So glad to hear you liked the recipe!

21. Artie December 18, 2013 at 10:13 am #

Sorry for this question, but what does ‘in full disclosure’ mean in regard to the marinade process? I’m from the UK and not too sure the meaning travels well! Thanks

• tomoko December 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

I just meant in the sense of “revealing” — almost like, “to be honest” — as in, “…to be honest, I often make this recipe when I don’t have time to marinate..” I hope that makes sense.

22. Andrea January 4, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

I’ve made this recipe several times now and it is damn good! Had to cut the cayenne in half, I don’t like things super spicy. So easy to just throw together on a weeknight!

23. Cindy February 19, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Hi, I want to make this recipe tonight, but I only have boneless, skinless chicken thighs. So would I reduce the cooking time since they’re boneless? If so, approximately how long would you cook them?

• tomoko February 19, 2014 at 12:53 pm #

If they are boneless and skinless, they shouldn’t take as long to cook — probably 20 min? You could always take a piece out and cut it to make sure it’s cooked through! Good luck!

24. Eva February 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

This is one of my go – to fav recipes!! I highly recommend it! Thank you!! please continue to post recipes – i love them!

• tomoko March 1, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

Thank you so much!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. May 8 | Paleo Adventures - May 12, 2012

[...] recipes for chicken thighs and I came across this blog: http://eatlivepaleo.com and I made their Spicy Lemon Chicken Thighs. I sauteed some mushrooms and I served my Pineapple Salsa as a second side. The coolness of the [...]

2. The FIRST Recipe – Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken Thighs | jackiehungry - May 30, 2012

[...] courtesy of Kimoko http://eatlivepaleo.com/2012/01/18/spicy-lemon-paprika-chicken-thighs/. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

3. Day 3 and 4, Whole30 » Endlessly Delicious - June 1, 2012

[...] was Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken Thighs with buttered broccoli, red pepper, and for the people not doing Whole30, basmati rice. Oh. my. [...]

4. Life with the Whole30 | More Reality than Renaissance - June 16, 2012

[...] Paprika Chicken with Zucchini Noodles [...]

5. Nom Diary 7/2 & 7/3 : nicole lee - July 4, 2012

[...] dinner, I had some chicken thighs defrosting in the fridge, and decided to follow this recipe for lemon paprika chicken. I marinated it for a few hours, and then roasted it for half an hour. Nice and easy weeknight [...]

6. CrossFit Magnolia - CrossFit Magnolia - August 18, 2012

[...] popular demand we made the Pad Thai again (see previous posts). And we also found this recipe for Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken Thighs. The recipe is a quite spicy. We only used 1/4 of the Cayenne Pepper it called for and it was [...]

7. Crispy Spiced Chicken Thighs « eat. live. paleo. - January 21, 2013

[...] Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken Thigh recipe is one of the most frequently visited posts on my blog — I think because we all love a [...]

8. Worst day | Whole9 for a WholeRatliff - February 18, 2013

[...] I ate: – eggs and sweet potatoes – lady grey tea – more sweet potatoes and an apple – spicy lemon paprika chicken thighs with broccoli – strawberries and almond [...]

9. A holiday without grains, sugar AND alcohol? No, I’m not kidding. | Carried Away - July 5, 2013

[…] Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken (Heaven! And super easy – try it now!) […]

10. A holiday without grains, sugar AND alcohol? No, I’m not kidding. | Carried Away - July 5, 2013

[…] Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken (Heaven! And super easy – try it now!) […]

11. Maniac Monday – Meal Plan | Confessions of a Mom - December 31, 2013

[…] 8.26 Chicken and Roasted Broccoli http://eatlivepaleo.com/2012/01/18/spicy-lemon-paprika-chicken-thighs/ http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1626061164/roasted-broccoli-bacon-recipe Monday 8.27 Whole Chicken in […]