I made this coleslaw to go with the spiced ribs. I wanted to infuse some sweetness to the salad to complement the spicy ribs — and had the idea to add mango into the mix. The mango adds a faintly sweet, slightly tart quality to the coleslaw, and brightens the salad. It’s colorful and flavorful, and pairs very nicely with the spicy ribs. This coleslaw was a big hit at the birthday party — what a great way to get a solid vitamin C boost from the cabbage! The coleslaw is excellent the next day.
- Half a head of cabbage, finely shredded (**I use a knife to thinly cut the cabbage. Make sure to take out the core, and cut the half cabbage in yet another half — quartered — and thinly cut the sections.)
- 1 large carrot, finely shredded (**I cut the carrot into thirds, then slice thinly length-wise/vertically; then I finely chop them into thin “match sticks.”)
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 mango, finely chopped into “matchsticks”
- 1 stalk of scallion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp organic mayonnaise (made of free-range eggs)
- 3 tbsp good quality white vinegar
- 1/4 cup organic olive oil
Chop all the vegetables and place in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and white vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, mix until smooth and silky. Season with salt.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.