I can’t bake a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving this year, but I thought I’d share with you my paleo pumpkin pie recipe in honor of Thanksgiving. I adapted this recipe from a Bobby Flay pumpkin pie recipe, and we love it. The filling is velvety but the pie itself is very light. I think it’s a very elegant pie. Non-paleo friends who don’t normally like pumpkin pies have asked for seconds of this paleo version.
PALEO PUMPKIN PIE (with coconut crust)
- 1 1/2 cups organic coconut flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly warm
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 packets of Stevia
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 packets of Stevia (equal to about 1/2 cups sugar) **I tend to decrease sugar content from original recipes as we prefer to keep sweets not too sweet — the original, non-paleo recipe calls for 1/4 cup granualted sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups organic pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups organic coconut cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved
For the crust:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Add all the ingredients for the crust to a food processor and pulse until combined; it should feel like wet sand, and just come together. Spread the mixture evenly into a 9-inch pie pan, using your finger tips or the flat bottom of a glass. Firmly press the mixture over the bottom and sides of the pan. Put the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until the crust is light brown and firm to the touch, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
For the filling:
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Whisk together the eggs, yolks and Stevia in a large bowl. Add the butter, pumpkin, coconut cream, spices, salt and vanilla seeds and whisk to combine. Strain the mixture into a bowl.
Pour the strained mixture into the baked pie crust and bake until almost set, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove and let come to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled.